Tuesday 5 April 2011

Domino Festival #15 last edition :(


It saddens me deeply to hear this year will see the last edition of the incredible Domino Festival at Brussels's Ancienne Belgique. This festival has been a beacon for amazing, diverse and unique artists to play in this city ranging from the legendary Einstürzende Neubauten (including a stop on their 25th anniversary tour in 2005), Sunn O)))'s monumental Moog Ceremony with Julian Cope on the mic (2006), a Raster-Noton label night featuring the mind-swirling A/V of Frank Brettshneider (2007), the psychotropic vibes of Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit (the latter being the late Can's drumman) in 2008 and so many more... I want to give a wholehearted thanks to the organisers for bringing such wonderful musicians to the capital and giving me and so many others the pleasure of witnessing such unforgettable performances.



My first encounter with the festival was also my first with Sunn O))). They happened to be in town the same week a friend had told me about them. He showed me an interview in Terrorizer magazine with Attila Csihar (Mayhem et al.), who was collaborating with them at the time on the White albums, so I couldn't resist the chance. Needless to say it was my last concert ever not wearing earplugs... I maintain that gig was the primary cause of my tinnitus.

This year's highlights for me will be Touch Records's 30th anniversary featuring Pan(a)sonic half Mika Vaino, rock ballast Battles sharing the bill with kosmische reviver Oneohtrix Point Never, Neubauten frontman Blixa Bargeld's latest venture with Raster-Noton co-founder Alva Noto, as ANBB, and perhaps the most thrilling of all, the god of noise himself, Merzbow! A fair end to a monumentous festival which has left it's mark on many individuals here and which no one will easily forget.

Check the rest of the Domino #15 line-up and enjoy yourself :)



April 6th - 12th, 2011
DOMINO FESTIVAL #15
Ancienne Belgique
Brussels

No comments:

Post a Comment